Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Book Review: God on Fire by Fred Hartley

Fred Hartley writes, "Some of us are so afraid of misfire or false fire that we quickly stomp out any fire."  In his latest book, God on Fire, Hartley recounts Biblical and historical examples of the fire of the manifest presence of Christ.  He also distinguishes between the omnipresence and manifest presence of God.  This book was hard for me to put down and I was saddened when I finished it.  It casts a vision for what can be in the life of the believer and in the life of the Church.

My first encounter with the fire of God's presence took place shortly after my conversion and went from about 1988 until 1990.  It ruined me.  I have never been satisfied with anything less ever since.  I have had God on Fire presents a clear case to the contrary.
small tastes on a personal level since then, but nothing like I encountered almost 25 years ago.  Many say God doesn't do that anymore.  Many say it is nothing but emotionalism and mysticism.

This book has left my heart freshly longing for the manifest presence of Christ once again, not only in my personal life, but in the church.  Rev. Hartley concludes that a church without the presence of God in their midst is like going to Yankee Stadium to watch a baseball game, but without the Yankees showing up.

God on Fire is one of the most exciting and refreshing books I have read in some time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Colossians: Jesus is Enough

  Part 1 – Jesus is Enough  (Introduction) – September 4, 2022 Video Audio Part 2 – Prayers for Jesus People  (Colossians 1:1-14) – Septembe...