Monday, August 15, 2011

Going a Little Further

I've started jogging recently.  If you know me, you know that is a big deal.  I'm not a runner.  I've never seen a runner look like they were having fun.  But, I know it can be good exercise.  I never thought jogging would ever be part of my routine.  However, I know that exercise works best when I am pushing myself.  If I keep doing the same exercise the same way for the same amount of time, I will eventually hit a wall in my fitness program.  So, in this aspect of my exercise program, I am trying to jog a little farther each time.

Spiritually, we can hit a wall.  We pray the same way for the same amount of time every day for months and even years.  We read through one chapter of the Bible every day (and from the same few books of the Bible), and we've been doing that for years.  And we wonder why we have lost our passion.

In exercise, you are urged to push a little harder, go a little farther, and do just one more rep.  You are convinced that you can't do it.  Your body is screaming in pain (and maybe you are screaming, too).  You are exhausted.  But you dig deep and go beyond what you thought was possible.  And you are stronger as a result.

Spiritually, is it time to go a little farther?  Pray a little longer?  Read a little more?  Memorize a few more verses?  There will always be other things you'd rather be doing.  But for your spiritual fitness, will you push yourself and go deeper with the Lord than you've ever thought possible?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Colossians: Jesus is Enough

  Part 1 – Jesus is Enough  (Introduction) – September 4, 2022 Video Audio Part 2 – Prayers for Jesus People  (Colossians 1:1-14) – Septembe...