Friday, February 3, 2012

Eyes to See (February 3, 2012)

Last night, I began an online course with R.C. Sproul called Principles of Biblical Interpretation.  I am truly grateful to God for a couple of friends who invited me to be a part of this.  At first, I was intrigued.  Then, in all honesty, a little reluctant.  I mean, between Bible college, seminary and other courses since then, I've been over this type of material numerous times.  My educational "pride" almost kept me out of the class.  I am sure glad the Spirit pushed me on this.  In completing lesson one last night and the subsequent assignments, God took a very simple and basic truth and hammered it into me again.  It is the truth that Jesus affirmed in John 5:39, "You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me."  


If I am not careful, I can easily fall into a trap of coming to the Word of God to learn something, to deepen my theology, to sharpen my defense of a doctrinal issue, to beef up my evangelistic efforts, to find a good insight for a Bible study or sermon, and other similar motives.  What I can lose focus on in the midst of all of that is that it is in the Word of God that I should be encountering Jesus Himself.  Growing to love Him more.  Hearing what He has to say to me each and every day - for my growth, not for my ministry alone.

A basic, yet wonderful lesson that I need to be reminded of over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Colossians: Jesus is Enough

  Part 1 – Jesus is Enough  (Introduction) – September 4, 2022 Video Audio Part 2 – Prayers for Jesus People  (Colossians 1:1-14) – Septembe...